Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fun in the Mountains

On Sunday, Trey decided not to go into work and to spend the day with us, his lovely family! Around lunchtime, we were bored and wanted to do something together since it was so pretty outside, so we decided to drive up to the mountains and do some sightseeing. We printed off the directions from Map Quest(couldn't live without them) and headed out of G'ville. We were heading to Ceasar's Head State Park to find some waterfalls and to go exploring in the mountains. From the look of the map from Map Quest, we didn't have far to go. Wrong!!! I'm not sure when the last time they updated...they sent us on a wild goose chase! Anyway, after going up the mountain on a one-way gravel road with no guardrails (Thanks Map Quest), we finally made it. It was crowded!!! Everyone must have had the same idea as us. We went into the little Park Ranger store thingy to grab some maps and get information about the trails. We also asked the Rangers some quick questions about the waterfalls and if the trails were long, hard, etc. She told me the trail we would enjoy the most was the Raven Cliff Falls Trail. Sounded good to me, so I guess I missed the part about it being a moderate/difficult hike. The only part I heard was that it was 2.4 miles ONE WAY!!! Trey, being all bad and stuff, said, "Oh, that's nothing! We can do that no problem at all!" I guess I was blinded by the thought of my husband being Macho, and agreed. (Although, I don't really remember agreeing to the 5 mile hike!!) First, though, we wanted to see the lookout point from Ceasar's Head to Table Rock Mountain. It was absolutely gorgeous. It is known that the Cherokee Indians named Table Rock because they believed the spirits to their tribe meet there for dinner. Plus, it really looked like a table. So, after lots of pictures, we were heading on our hike.

Table Rock Lookout from Ceasar's Head State Park

Family Photo Op!


Our hike began really good and I was thinking that it was really neat how we were spending time together as a family. We came upon all kinds of beautiful trees and leaves and the kids were in awe of all the fall colors. At one point on the trail, we came to an area where a tree had fallen over the pathway. So, the kids decided to play around on it for a minute, which was a good thing, because I rested! I snapped a few pics of them "monkeying around!"



I hate to admit that even I tried hanging onto the branch like a monkey. Although, I didn't hang very well. I think there may even be a picture somewhere, but I have no idea where it would be! (Hint:RECYCLE BIN!!) Anyways, after I almost broke my hip, we went back to the trail. The rest of the hike UP the mountain was pretty uneventful. After about an hour and a half, we made it to the waterfall! It was a beautiful lookout area, but I was somewhat disappointed...it was further away than I had imagined. After hiking that long, I wanted to be able to touch the darn thing if I wanted to! But, anyhow, it was AMAZING!

Raven Cliff Falls



Look at all the colors!



So, we rested for a few minutes before we started the hike back to the car. The trip back was a lot easier since we were going down hill most of the time. I think the idea of this even put a little pep in my step! All afternoon, all of us had been stumbling and tripping on roots and sticks on the trail. Every time one of the kids would fall, Trey would say, "You better get up, you don't want to be bear food!" This got them up in a hurry and with usually no tears. Garrett made the comment that him and Trey were the only ones who hadn't fallen. (Yes, he counted me falling off the log although I don't really consider that falling.) No sooner than he said it, he fell flat on his butt! Trey said, "HA HA, you're bear food!" Trey was trailing behind all of us, so I didn't really get a chance to see what happened next. All I heard was "HUMPUFF" Yep, Carol, he fell and actually made noise this time!!! I turned around just in time to see him rolling down the trail! I tried to help him up, but he didn't want any of it...maybe because I was laughing a little bit! I have that habit of laughing when he gets hurt...not really sure why! I was so scared that he had broken something and I had no way to get him off the mountain. We had just started our trip down, so we had a ways to go. Also, he was the only one with a cell phone and it broke when he fell down. Not that it would've helped anyway, we had no signal in the middle of the woods in the mountains. So, after we figured out he was OK, Garrett said, "HA HA Dad, you're gonna be Bear food!" It was priceless!!! I think he gets his humor from me! Anyway, Trey twisted his ankle, but started walking on it, so it ended up being OK. We finally made it back to the car in one piece and with all the kids, so it's safe to say it was a mission accomplished! We all had lots of fun and I really can't wait to go hiking sometime soon...but, maybe, just maybe, on a shorter, easier trail! Until next time....

The Rookard Bunch :0)

My girls hiking



Garrett posing AKA RESTING!

2 comments:

kahlanne said...

Great job telling about Trey falling! I wish I was there...uhmmm...rethinking it...I don't think I would want to walk a mile much less 5! Might have been worth it to see and actually hear Trey fall though! I love the pics btw.

CC said...

Man!! and i thought my mom liked to ramble!!!JK. O M Gosh!!!(lol.)i love yoor pics. cant wait 4 yew guyz 2 cum visit!